The review of books on this site, are my own opinions. I have either bought these books, borrowed these books or been given an advanced reader's copy to review. I never receive any money for my personal reviews.

Thursday, May 31, 2012

The Messenger by Siri Mitchell


I am a big fan of both Siri Mitchell's writing and of historical fiction. The Messenger is a very well written story set in Philadelphia while occupied by British forces during the Revolutionary War. The two main characters who narrate the story are Hannah Sunderland a Quaker or Friend whose brother is being held by the British in a jail on Walnut Street. She wants to see her brother and help him but she is forbidden from taking sides or going to the jail. Conditions in the jail are squalid, cold and illness is prevalent. Jeremiah Jones has a grudge against the British for what happened to him while he fought during the French and Indian Wars. Hannah and Jeremiah become an unlikely pair of spies and helpers to assist our young nation struggling against the British. This story will draw you into the lives of the various characters and social expectations of that time. Hannah in particular has a real struggle with her family and with her faith as she does what she thinks is right for herself and for her brother. I do recommend this book to anyone who enjoys historical fiction. You can't go wrong with this interesting book. 

The Messenger by Siri Mitchell was provided to me by Bethany House to read and review.

4 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you enjoyed my book! Thanks for taking the time to write and post a review.

    Many blessings,

    Siri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Siri for stopping in and reading my review.
    Many blessings to you too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad I found your site, I have to read this book! I'm following you now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi JoyAnne and welcome to my little blog. :)

      Delete